Friday, June 27, 2014

Honey


My hair has been SO unbelievably dry lately. I was in desperate need of a good moisturizing deep conditioner to repair my hair. You will be able to tell when you need a moisturizing deep conditioner; your hair will feel dryer than usual and won't hold onto moisture as easily as it usually does. My normally soft hair felt really brittle which is how I knew my hair was due for a moisturizing deep conditioning. On Wednesday night, after shampooing my hair, I went to reach for my deep conditioner and only then realized I finished up all my moisturizing deep conditioner last week.


With my hair soaking wet, I needed to think fast. I remembered I had some honey in the kitchen and decided to combine it with my conditioner to enhance it. Honey is a great addition to any conditioner. It is a humectant, meaning that it attracts moisture. Honey also softens natural hair and adds shine. I used roughly 2 parts conditioner and 1 part honey.

2/3 conditioner, 1/3 honey

I combined the conditioner and honey by putting both in the palm of one hand, then rubbing my hands together.  I applied the mixture from root to tip, section by section (I typically have 4 sections), while also gently finger detangling my hair, removing shed hair along the way.

Freshly washed hair, with conditioner and honey applied

Since it was a work night, I just left the conditioner in for 30 minutes instead of the usual hour. I put on a plastic cap and warm conditioning cap to allow my hair to quickly soak up the goodness of the honey and conditioner. After rinsing thoroughly, my hair felt and looked great. My curls seemed especially springy, my hair was shiny and most importantly, it was SOFT.

After rinsing out the conditioner; no product on hair.

If you feel your hair is especially dry, try adding honey or any other humectant to your conditioner. Other humectants I favor are glycerin and aloe vera juice. If using a humectant, please be sure to apply an oil or butter to your hair afterwards to lock that moisture in! Surprise, surprise, I used Jamaican Black Castor Oil...

No comments:

Post a Comment