Saturday, April 13, 2013

Let Your Hair Down!

In my last hair post, I indicated that I'd be bunning from now on to give my hair a break from extensions. Bunning is probably the fastest and easiest way to protect your hair and to retain moisture. If twists aren't your thing and your hair is long enough to pull up, I definitely recommend bunning. Click here for some awesome tips!

I bunned for... a week? Maybe... I like bunning because it gives me the advantage of protecting my ends and the ease of doing a hairstyle that literally takes a minute. But let's be real: at the end of the day, buns are kind of boring. Yeah, I said it. So when Spring finally decided to happen, I felt like it was the perfect weather to let my hair down. The sun was shining, flowers were blooming, and I felt like a free spirit!

Beautiful, right?
I don't know what it is about nice weather, but it makes me want to let my hair down! The weather was perfect for it--not too hot, not too humid, not too dry. When it's too humid, my hair might start out stretched, then will shrink throughout the day, causing it to get all kinds of tangled. It's not worth it. But last weekend was perfect. The only problem is I hadn't worn a twist out in so long, I nearly forgot how to do one! Even though this wasn't my best effort, it felt great to wear my hair down.

Twist out? Sort of, I guess..
Even though day 1 was a complete fail, I was obviously feeling this loose-hair look because I rocked it a lot (read: nearly everyday) this past week. I'm proud to say my twist-out method has improved significantly!

Monday was better...
Wednesday was the best!
So how did I achieve this full and curly look? I followed Naptural85's "best twist out ever" method. It works really well! Here are some quick tips for wearing your kinky/curly/coily hair down:
  1. Moisturize! When your ends aren't protected, your hair will lose moisture much more quickly. I moisturized (sprayed my hair with a mixture of water and glycerin), and sealed (with an oil or water-based cream) every night this week while my hair was down, and it definitely needed it! When my hair is in protective styles, I usually only seal in moisture about 2-3 times a week. Just something to keep in mind!
  2. Use a hair butter or cream the first time you twist your hair. This sort of goes with my first tip, but I felt the need to reiterate it. A hair butter will help your hair "hold" the twist, and ensure your twists outs are shiny and defined.
  3. If you want longer twists, start with dry, stretched hair. Starting on dry hair will also make your twists look better defined.
So is it just me, or does nice weather also make you wanna let your hair down? How do you achieve your best twist out ever?

No comments:

Post a Comment