Thursday, June 27, 2013

Havana Twists + What I Wore


I finally put some Havana twists in my hair on Sunday morning. I was in kind of a rush because I only had about 2 and a half hours before I had to leave to go to my niece's 1st birthday party, so I did them pretty chunky. I redid some on the top of my head a couple of days later and made every 2 or 3 twists into 4 twists. I added hair so the twists were still chunky, but I ended up with more of them. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the result, even though it doesn't necessarily look like the picture on the package.

I ordered the hair from fingercomber.com, which claims that you need 5 to 7 packs of hair to get the desired look, "depending on the thickness of your hair, and the desired density and fullness of the look you are aiming to achieve." Um... lies. I ordered 7 packs because I love me some big hair, but only ended up using just 2 and a half packs. Maybe if I had a little more time to do them smaller and neater, I can see possibly using up to 4 packs. I would be mad about getting scammed, but I really like this look and can see repeating it throughout the year.

Now, this hair sheds a lot. You have to "finger comb" (ha--get it?) the hair before installing, and it makes the hair a little less rough and easier to twist. I did this style while sitting on my bed while watching several episodes of a show on my laptop to pass the time and OMG there was hair everywhere, even though I thought I was was being careful to put all the shed hair in my trash bin. It wasn't a big deal, but just something to be aware of.

As for the method I used, I followed this video by BlackOnyx77. In the video, she describes the Alikay Invisible Roots Method, which makes for a much more natural look by essentially hiding the installation with a thin later of your hair. If that sounds super confusing, just watch the video. I only used this method on the very top of my hair, because that's really the only place you see my roots. A good friend actually thought it was my hair, so it works! For the rest of my hair, I just did the  usual braided start, also shown in the video.

So far, I like Havana twists a little more than the Marley twists I had been rocking all winter. The length is perfect for summer, short enough to look realistic, and the twists are much much fuller. Also, sometimes Marley twists can look like locks which can be a downside if that's not the look you are going for, but these definitely just look like twists.

The other day, I met up with a friend for lunch, and she snapped a few photos of me before I had to head back to the office. I wore a new item: a denim, polka dot, sleeveless dress. I love everything about this dress, from the design, the light material (it was super hot and humid that day), and the cutesy polka dot print. I'm realizing I have a small polka dot obsession. Get ready for more! I paired the dress with a wooden statement necklace, my Diane Von Furstenburg sunnies (gifted to me by my wonderful mom), and a pair of white flats.


Outfit details:
Dress - F21+// Necklace - F21 (sold out; similar here and here)// Sunnies - DVF (vintage)

Which do you like best: Havana twists or Marley twists? What do you think of the dress?

No comments:

Post a Comment