Monday, January 6, 2014

Hair Trends for Spring 2014

Anyone who knows me knows I can be somewhat of a sucker for trends. Spring is a'coming , so I decided to search the interwebz to find the best hair trends of Spring 2014. The beautiful thing about natural hair is how versatile it is. The following are just three of thousands of different ways to rock your natural hair this Spring.

Low Pony/Bun
Out with the top knot, in with the low ponytail! I don't usually rock a pony, but I love a good bun. Bunning is a great and super easy way to retain moisture and is a very quick style if you don't like to spend a lot of time on your hair in the morning. Compared to top knots, low buns tend to look fuller, especially if your hair is short/medium length (like mine), and put less strain on the edges of our hair.

I happen to be wearing a low bun today :)

How the low pony/bun would look on someone with slightly longer hair

Pompadour
It should be pretty obvious by now, but I loooooooove a good pompadour and  I'm excited the style has hit the Spring 2014 runways in full force! You know the saying, 'The higher the pompadour, the closer to God.'  Well, it's true.

One of my signature looks.

My pomp-spo

Big Chop/Shrinkage
Many naturalistas tend to run away from shrinkage. For those of us with super coily hair, shrinkage can be a recipe for tangled, matted hair. However, I feel as though shrinkage, though frustrating at times, is one of the beautiful things about natural hair. My hair can be 8 inches one day and 2 inches the next, all without touching a pair of scissors. The key to rocking this style is to make sure your hair is well nourished and moisturized. For days when you don't care to show your length, a quick wash-n-go may be the answer. Spruce up the look with accessories if you're feeling fancy.

Embracing my shrinkage, but clearly not feeling fancy. (No hair accessories).

If your hair is damaged, cut it! Don't be afraid to cut your hair; it will grow back!

What trends have you seen? Which hair trends are your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment